Today was my first day working for my first post-graduate job. After discussing with my mother, I have determined that my first day experience clocks in at a 9/10.
Things I did today at work:
- Went on a field visit and measured stuff
- Worked on the plans for that project
- Started some construction document sheets
- Visited the town’s city hall to drop off permit corrections
- Sketched some townhouse units for some guy in Texas
- Rode in a car with my boss twice
Mistakes I made (oops!):
- Misread a tape measure (out loud to my boss)
- Forgot to dimension a drawing (that I sent to my boss)
Things I feel good about:
- The people in my office are nice, if a bit quiet
- My boss’ dog loves me
- My boss seems to like me
- I get to sort of design a hair salon
- I didn’t make any huge or embarrassing errors!
See? Overall a pretty great day. I did find myself missing my old firm. It was bigger, brighter, and in downtown, but really I think it’s the familiarity I miss the most. I’m trying hard to remind myself that this place has just as much, if not more, to offer me. There are only six people at my current firm, which means there are many opportunities to learn and gain experience I wouldn’t otherwise get. Change helps us grow. (It also helps knowing I won’t be here for more than, like, 3 years if I stick to my 5 year plan.)
I still feel a little weird. Probably some combination of nerves and fear, but I’m sure it will go away by the end of the week. I just need to establish a routine, some flow for my life. I know I sound a little mellow, but I’m excited!
And I’m glad I’m not dealing with depression on top of all this stuff.
I’m glad my life is going well.